Why Should You Go To The Career Fair?
The MSE•NE Career Fair provides an opportunity you won’t find anywhere else. It’s the only career fair at the University of Florida created specifically to pair materials science or nuclear engineering students with multiple companies in search of MSE and NE majors to fill their internships and job openings. All students (undergrads and grad) are encouraged to attend. Even if you are freshman or sophomore not yet looking for a job or internship, you should register and check it out anyway as it’s an opportunity to make a connection with potential future employers. It’s the perfect chance to get your foot in the door and make a great first impression.
Dress Code: Business Casual
Please wear business casual attire. Dressing appropriately goes a long way. We suggest wearing something that would make sense for the industry but is still professional dress. Avoid: ragged jeans, dirty sneakers, graphic T-shirts, flip-flops, shorts, or hats. If you have any questions about the dress code, check out the Career Connections Center for details on proper attire for interviews. **Backpacks: If you bring a backpack to the event, it must stay with you at all times. Any backpacks found unattended anywhere in the event space will be removed. We are not responsible for any lost or stolen items left unattended.**
Tips for Success
Before the Career Fair
- Register for the upcoming career fair
- Prepare your resume and get it critiqued at the Career Connections Center
- Research the attending companies that you are interested in and have questions prepared for their representatives
- Practice your interviewing skills and sign-up for mock interviews at the Career Connections Center
- Print copies of your resume to hand to interested employers
During the Career Fair
- Check-in at the front desk with your UFID
- Be professional in your appearance and behavior: a shower, shave, haircut and a mint can go a long way
- When talking to employers, be confident, look them in the eye, shake their hand and speak with humble self-assurance
- Relax, have fun and enjoy the event
After the Career Fair
- Send follow-up thank-you emails to your interviewers
- Submit your resume and complete a job application online for the companies you are most interested in
- Be reachable for company employers to contact you via phone or email – respond quickly!